With Thanksgiving nearly upon us, we spent almost no time getting ready for the holiday.
Earlier this summer we ordered half a hog through one of the local farmers at one of the farmer’s markets near our house. We’re splitting that half with another couple, however, so in reality we’re only getting a quarter hog. We placed the order in July, and only in the last couple of weeks did get get any signs that the order hadn’t been lost as we started communicating with them about cutting instructions and delivery options. Sunday morning we picked up almost one hundred pounds of roasts, ribs, bacon, ham, sausage, and lard. Our agreement with the other couple meant that they got almost all the ham while we got almost all the bacon. In addition, each couple got almost seven pounds of lard. So, if you know of any good uses for that much lard, let us know. Our original plans were to make jambalaya and a few other New Orleans dishes for Thanksgiving dinner, but now that we’re swimming in pork we changed course and will be making a pork roast on Thursday. We need to start eating the pork because we expect to get our annual 1/4 bison delivery any day now. That’s another hundred-plus pounds of meat that will strain our deep freeze capacity, especially since we’re not quite done with last year’s bison yet.
We have thirteen pounds of ground bison left from last year’s animal, and until this weekend we had a whole slew of soup bones, stew meat, snack sticks, a liver, and a heart. The snack sticks we took to work and curling and that took care of them. Sarah made a monstrous batch of broth and soup this weekend with the stew meat and soup bones, so those are gone (or in a different package, anyway). I boiled, diced, and dehydrated the liver, which makes it a tasty treat for dogs. The heart was too fatty to dehydrate, so I diced it, cooked it for two+ hours in a slow oven, divvied up the bits, and froze them in small containers for future dog consumption. Now if the freezer wasn’t so full of veggies, berries, and the like I’d be less nervous about getting all the bison in there.
We also worked hard on the baby’s room this weekend. I finished up with my painting in there this weekend, removed all the remaining office bits (printer, books, bookshelves, etc.), and threw myself into crib assembly. That took about two hours of sweating, swearing, and puzzling over contradictory instructions (“That illustration says this is ‘Wrong!’ while these illustrations seem to indicate the exact opposite. $#%&*!!!). Finally, the crib was assembled in place, and stocked with the crib mattress. The changing table is in place, as is the glider. Sarah started the curtains this weekend and got several of them done. She also cleaned and mended the fabric for one of the strollers that we bought at a garage sale.
Sarah has also been busy mending a rug that her Grandmother made a long time ago, but she finished with that mending on Thursday night so we dropped it off at the cleaners on Friday. That rug will likely end up in our living room.
The mead that I started some time ago is now in bottles. We bottled it Saturday afternoon. It’s really strong, compared to most beers. Based solely on my sensory perception, I’d say it’s close to 15% alcohol. We drank a bottle Saturday night when my sister was over for dinner and it’s quite harsh right now. The honey is overwhelmed by the alcohol. It definitely needs some aging before it realizes any of its potential.