The weather here today is sunny and 72 with an occasional breeze and wispy clouds in the sky. On one of the most fantastic days that we’ve seen in these parts for a while, it’s time to look back on the past few weeks.

Three weeks ago, Sarah’s parents came to town for a visit. We took them upto see EAA AirVenture at Osh Kosh this year. The weather is invariably hotand sunny the last week of July, so a visit there is as much a test of anindividual’s constitution as it is an opportunity to see interestingaircraft. However, despite the scorching weather, everyone had a good time. One of the highlights of the day is the air show which takes place every dayaround 15:00. This year, they had a number of bombers at the show,including one of only two flying Avro Lancasters in the world. Also taking part in the airshow this year were B-17’s, B-24’s, B-25’s, and a B-1. The bombers staged amock bombing run at the end of the air show, which was generally corny, butappreciated by some segment of the audience. After spending the day at the air show, we toured a bit of Osh Koshlooking for a bite to eat. We finally ended up a a joint for locals wherewe introduced Mike and Tina to the unavoidable Wisconsin tradition of Fridaynight Fish Fry. Wisconsin fish fry is invariably tasty, but almost neverhealthy. Of course, a manhole cover might be tasty if it was breaded,fried, and served hot with a large beer, as well.

We also took Mike and Tina out to Spring Green to see the AmericanPlayers Theatre production of Thornton Wilder’s play, The Matchmaker. Asusual, the show was very good. The acting was sharp and the set design wasvery, very clever. I thought that the lighting was a bit inflexible whichseemed to limit the actors ability to come off the stage and into theaudience very deeply, but that is a small quibble overall.

The weekend after Sarah’s parents left, my parents arrived. They timedtheir visit to coincide with the annual Lands End warehouse liquidationsale. The sale is held in Dodgeville, so we drove out there with them onSaturday morning after our weekly run to the Farmer’s Market. As usual, wescored high-quality clothing at nearly criminal prices. For instance, Ibought two sport jackets for a combined cost of less than $15. At retail,those jackets would have commanded well over $200.

On our way back to Madison, we stopped in Mt. Horeb because we wanted tostop at a cafe there for lunch. However, it was National Mustard Day, so a little festival was taking place onMt. Horeb’s main street. Hot dogs and mustard were free to all comers(while they lasted), but if you wanted ketchup there was a $10 surcharge. We all had one or more hot dogs while we listened to the band playing on aportable stage and took in the sights. Eventually, we made our way to theBlue Sky Cafe where we had dessert to polish off our free hot dogs. Sarahhad peaches and cream pie, I had lefse, my Mom had a cookie, and my Dad hada malted milk shake. After dessert, it was only natural to shop for mustardso we stopped at the Mustard Museum and picked up some quality mustards.

We had to get back to Madison eventually, however, because we had ticketsto a play in town for that evening. After eating pizza that we made on thegrill, the four of us trooped off to see the play Leaving Iowa at the OvertureCenter. The play was reasonably funny, though probably not the mostcomical thing I’ve ever seen.

Sunday morning my parents got back in their car and drove off to SouthDakota. Sunday evening, we attended a Madison Mallards game with somefriends of ours. We sat in the Duck Blind, which offers its patrons all youcan eat food and drink. The drink menu is fairly extensive, if you definedrink as beer; the food menu is limited primarily to savory foods. TheMallards were attempting to set a world record for the largest ceremonialfirst pitch, so all fans that night go to troop on to the field, toss aceremonial baseball, and then head to their seats. Since they started torun low of fans before they ran out of baseballs, they started to let peoplethrow more than one pitch. So, I threw two more, just for kicks.

Last weekend we got a new (to us) gas grill. We had been invited to abarbeque and since it was near our home we decided to walk there. On thewalk over, we discovered that someone had placed a well-used, butserviceable, gas grill at the end of their driveway with signs that read”Free! Works!” We had been in the market for a cheap gas grill and since itis hard to get much cheaper than free, we took the grill home with us. Sarah and I combined our efforts to get a propane tank for the grill and wefired it up last night. It seems to work well enough to suffice forgrilling burgers, brats, and the like in the winter which is why we wantedthe grill. Our charcoal grill is still our primary grill, but since we packthat away come winter, the gas grill will attain primacy for a few monthsduring the dark months.

Shortly before Sarah’s parents arrived a few weeks ago, we drove toIllinois (Rockford, specifically) to pick up a Norwegian Elkhound that wewere going to foster for a time until a permanent home was found for him. The dog’s name was Rocky and he was just a bit over 14 months old. He hadalmost no training in how to be a dog in modern society, so he was more thana handful. We had him at our place for a while, but eventually, he wasplaced with a more experienced foster home. In the short time that he waswith us, however, we did discover nearly every item in our home that wasbelow four feet above the floor that could be chewed by a determinedindividual.