The useless disclaimers attached to e-mails by many corporate e-mail systems really rub me the wrong way.

Since the disclaimers are all but unenforcable, they only serve to eat up resources like bandwidth, disk space, and processor time that could otherwise be used more productively. For instance, today I got an e-mail message in which the actual message itself consisted of 48 characters.

The disclaimer attached to the bottom of the message totaled 1804 characters.

That means that for every letter my correspondant typed, I got over 37 characters of corporate disclaimer spam at the bottom of the message.