For the last few days, I’ve been using KDE 3.2.1 on my home computer. Since I’ve been using KDE 3.1 for the better part of a year, I was quite interested to see the changes in the new version of the software.

My primary home computer is a Dell that is probably five years old. Not necessarily the newest kid on the block. It is currently running SuSE Linux 8.2. Since the 3.2 branch of KDE was released, I’ve been watching various corners of the Internet to get an idea of just how mature and buggy it was. It seemed that there were several real problems with 3.2, but 3.2.1 had gotten generally good reviews, so I decided to upgrade.

The most obvious difference between 3.1 and 3.2.1 is the speed with which things seem to happen. The software is much snappier overall and several GUI effects I didn’t use in 3.1 because they seemed CPU pigs, have slimmed down noticeably in 3.2.1.

Konqueror has several new features, and perhaps the best one is spell-checking of HTML form input. For a blogging system like GeekLog that lacks a spellchecker, that sort of system is a life-saver.

Most of the mutlimedia apps. have been significantly upgraded, as well. Kscd has a new interface. Noatun has several new features.

There are certainly bugs to be found in the various apps, but for the most part, they aren’t critical. One notable exception is Kopete. It still needs a great deal of work before it can compete with Gaim.